We believe that marriage is one of the most important life changing commitments that couples can make. As a church we are keen to promote the institution of marriage and to support existing married couples within our community.
A church wedding is a public declaration of love and commitment made in God’s presence. If you are considering getting married in church and would like your wedding to take place in church, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss dates, costs and any other questions you may have. To be married at CoGS you must either currently reside in the parish or have a qualifying connection. A person has a ‘qualifying connection’ with a parish if:
- one of them was baptised or prepared for confirmation in the parish;
- one of them has ever lived in the parish for six months or more;
- one of them has at any time regularly attended public worship in the parish for six months or more;
- one of their parents has lived in the parish for six months or more in their child’s lifetime;
- one of their parents has regularly attended public worship there for six months or more in their child’s lifetime;
- their parents or grandparents were married in the parish.
If you have been divorced you will need to make a special application to be married in church. As a couple you will then have a meeting with Vicar Revd Peter Hall who will decide whether your marriage can take place in church. Please ask for the relevant application form.
If you would like to know more please contact the church office on 02392 256814.
For more information weddings in the Church of England please visit:
Your Church Wedding
The Church of England provides a dedicated website for couples looking to organise their perfect church wedding. The website provides really handy advice on every aspect of a wedding from getting engaged, planning and find out more about marriage itself. Get the facts about the legal requirements and dispel some common myths. Most of all the website gives a refreshing view of the big day and getting things sorted.