Our vision is to become an inclusive church with mission and discipleship at its heart, being inspired by Jesus’ last words to his followers at the ascension, “Jesus said, ‘Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” (from Matt. 28)
- We see discipleship as key to sustained growth.
- We see discipleship as a way of being (not just a course to be attended) and discipling one another is the privilege and responsibility of all members.
- We see discipleship as a continuous cycle:
(outreach, connection, blessing, serving, inclusion)
(faith sharing, Alpha, expectation of signs and wonders)
(worship, teaching, exercise of gifts, guiding)
So our hope is that those who are reached by the mission and ministry of disciples, will come to a living faith in Jesus Christ, will be discipled so they are empowered to minister and reach others. And so the cycle goes on.
- We see discipleship as being important for all ages, and would seek to put a strong emphasis on the discipleship of our children and young people.
- We recognise that we need to be active in discipling and caring for one another (‘go’ and ‘make’ are imperatives)
- We recognise that ‘unless the Lord builds the house, the labourers toil in vain’ (Ps.127) and so everything needs to be undergirded with prayer.
It is clear that to grow, we need to ‘do a few things well’, rather than engaging in frenetic activity. We are therefore going to focus on three priorities in the next two to three years.
Being intentional about growing disciples of Jesus, with all members taking responsibility to nurture others in the faith.
- Youth and Children
Having an overall integrated vision for the resourcing of children and young people as disciples.
Providing a broad expression of worship within the Evangelical Charismatic tradition, but including seeker-friendly services, which engage people at every point on the cycle of discipleship.